More details about the drug that killed Prince are emerging. An official autopsy report has revealed that the singer died from an accidental, self administered dose of the drug fentanyl.
On Sunday, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported that pills marked as hydrocodone – commonly known under the trade name Vicodin – actually contained fentanyl, a synthetic opioid described as being 100 times more powerful than morphine. The discovery indicates that Prince might not have known what, exactly, he was taking. Counterfeit fentanyl pills have led to such an increased number of accidental overdoses that it’s been declared a public health crisis.
Sources also revealed that the autopsy revealed the presence of lidocaine, alprazolam and Percocet in Prince’s body at the time of his death.
There has been no word on how Prince obtained the drugs that killed him.