Oprah Winfrey Network has postponed their planned documentary on Michael Sam, the first openly gay player drafted to the NFL.
“After careful consideration and discussion with the St. Louis Rams, ‘The Untitled Michael Sam Project’ has been postponed, allowing Michael the best opportunity to achieve his dream of making the team,” OWN’s president Erik Logan said in a statement. “It’s clear that we, along with the world, recognize the important opportunity that Michael now has in this moment. We will continue to support him in his journey to earn a spot playing for the Rams.”
According to Sam’s agent Cameron Weiss, the postponement was in his client’s best interest. “This will allow for Michael to have a total focus on football, and will ensure no distractions to his teammates,” he explained. “Everybody involved remains committed to this project and understands its historical importance as well as its positive message.”
The news came just two days after the cable network officially greenlighted the reality show. It was scheduled to be produced by the same team behind the “Lindsay” docu-series.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, it’s unclear when OWN will revisit the project.
Check Out This Gallery
1. Former WNBA player Sheryl Swoopes1 of 12
2. WNBA player Brittney Griner2 of 12
3. Former NBA player John Amaechi3 of 12
4. Legendary Tennis player Billie Jean King4 of 12
5. Boxer Orlando Cruz5 of 12
6. Former NFL player Kwame Harris6 of 12
7. Former Olympic diver Greg Louganis7 of 12
8. Former MLB outfielder Glenn Burke8 of 12
9. Former Tennis star Martina Navratalova9 of 12
10. Former Soccer player Justin Fashanu10 of 12
11. Esera Tuaolo11 of 12
12. Megan Rapinoe12 of 12
Michael Sam’s Documentary Is A No-Go, OWN Puts Series On Hold was originally published on hellobeautiful.com