This is a very familiar piece of information. The death of Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old boy who was shot last month by Cleveland police officer, Timothy Loehmann, who authorities claim mistook the child’s toy gun for a real firearm, has been ruled a homicide, the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office said Friday. Eric Garner’s chokehold death at the hands of the NYPD was also ruled a homicide, but the officer who administered the prohibited chokehold was not indicted. So is it possible that Rice’s killer will also get away with murder? It’s highly likely.
According to reports, the homicide finding indicates that Tamir was killed by Loehmann, rather than dying accidentally or by natural causes or by suicide. Medical examiners’ homicide findings make no comment on whether the killing constitutes a crime. (This will be Loehmman’s saving grace.) Tamir’s cause of death was a “gunshot wound of the torso with injuries of major vessel, intestines and pelvis,” according to paperwork provided by Christopher Harris in the medical examiner’s communications office.
Rice was pointing a pellet gun at people outside the recreation center before he was shot, police say. A witness called 911 to say that a Black male — “probably a juvenile” — was pointing “a pistol” at people. The caller said more than once that the gun was probably fake. The 911 dispatcher called for officers to respond, but the dispatcher reportedly didn’t tell the officers about the caller’s suspicions that the gun was most likely fake and that the Black male wielding it was probably a minor.
The two responding officers arrived in a police car. Within two seconds of exiting the car, Loehmann shot Tamir. Tamir’s mother, Samaria Rice, has said she didn’t allow her son to play with toy guns, and one of his friends gave the air gun to him. This story hurts our hearts, but what’s going to hurt worse is when there’s no indictment or charges for Loehmann.
We will keep you posted beauties.
#ICantBreathe: Protestors Demand Justice For Eric Garner
1. Eric Garner's Life Will Not Be Stolen In Vain1 of 31
2. Eric Garner Supporters Stop NYC's Busiest Commuters In Their Tracks2 of 31
3. Grand Central Station Die-In3 of 31
4. Protestors In NYC Demonstrating A Die-In4 of 31
5. Don't Shoot. I'm Black.5 of 31
6. Justice Denied6 of 31
7. Reverend Al Sharpton Marches7 of 31
8. Police Standoff With Protestors8 of 31
9. A Man Gets Gets Arrested While Protesting9 of 31
10. A Protestor Gets Arrested10 of 31
11. Ferguson Is Everywhere11 of 31
12. I Can't Breathe12 of 31
13. NYC Die-In13 of 31
14. I Might Be Next14 of 31
15. United We Stand15 of 31
16. NYC Protestors Run16 of 31
17. NYPD Officers Block Protestors17 of 31
18. Eric Garner Died Because Of Loose Cigarettes18 of 31
19. Grand Central Station Die-In19 of 31
20. White Man Chokes Himself For Eric Garner20 of 31
21. Demilitarize The Police21 of 31
22. Protestors Blocking An Intersection In Washington, D.C.22 of 31
23. Enough Is Enough23 of 31
24. Black Lives Matter24 of 31
25. Protestors Interrupt Commuters Trying To Get Home25 of 31
26. Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony Attended By Protestors26 of 31
27. Grand Central Station27 of 31
28. Teaching Our Children Their Lives Matter28 of 31
29. Tears For Eric Garner29 of 31
30. Black Lives Matter30 of 31
31. Philadelphia's Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony Attending By Eric Garner Supporters31 of 31
Tamir Rice’s Death Ruled A Homicide, Will The Cop Who Killed Him Face Charges? was originally published on hellobeautiful.com