Hurricane Matthew made landfall yesterday in North Carolina, and its effects were felt even in theTriangle, we’re 6-8 inches of rain fell in Wake County. Many businesses closed early, many areas flooded, roads closes, and sadly there were 7 storm-related deaths.
Here’s an update on Hurricane Matthew in NC:
Here’s what you need to know as of Sunday morning:
- A boil water advisory has been issued for the Fayetteville, Sanford and Lee County. Spring Lake is asking residents to conserve water.
- 7 people in Sampson, Bladen, Pitt, Johnston and Harnett counties have died.
- Parts of I-40 and I-95 remain closed due to flooding
- Over 814,925 people are without power across the state
- At least 79 shelters are open in 23 counties, housing more than 4,100 people
- Officials are assessing overtopping, breaches and failures throughout the state, particularly in Hoke, Moore, and Bladen counties. Levee breached in Lumberton.
- Flooding continues to be a major issue
- Many residents are also dealing with downed trees and power lines.
- Rainfall of 5-8 inches fell around the Triangle and 10-15 inches from Fayetteville to Goldsboro.
- Multiple counties and municipalities have declared states of emergency. The City of Fayetteville declared a mandatory curfew from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. as a precaution.
- Al-Furqan School (Wake) – Closed Sunday.
- Burns Childcare Center (Cumberland) – Closed.
- Campbell University (Harnett) – Closed.
- Cherubs Daycare Center (Cumberland) – Closed.
- Cumberland County Schools (Cumberland) – Closed Monday.
- Dillard Academy Charter School (Wayne) – Closed Monday.
- Edgecombe Co. Schools (Edgecombe) – Closed.
- Fayetteville Tech. Community College (Cumberland) – Closed.
- Harnett County Schools (Harnett) – Closed Monday.
- Harvest Preparatory Academy (Cumerland) – Closed Monday.
- Lee County Schools – Closed Monday.
- Little Spouts Learning Cencer LLC (Harnett) – Closed.
- Nash-Rocky Mount Schools (Nash) – Closed.
- New Life Baptist and PreSchool – Closed Monday.
- Riverside Christian Academy-Fayetteville (Cumberland) – Monday Classes Canceled.
- Wayne County Public Schools (Wayne) – Closed Monday.