Today is National Pet Day, a day to show your favorite furry friends some extra love and spread the word about animals awaiting a new home in shelters and rescues around the country.
National Pet Day, which always falls on April 11, was founded in 2006 by pet and family lifestyle expert and animal welfare advocate Colleen Paige, to celebrate the joy pets bring to our lives and to create public awareness about the plight of animals being abused, and those waiting for adoption.
Here are some ways you can celebrate the day:
1. Adopt a pet from your local shelter or rescue organization.
2. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to care for the animals.
3. Donate blankets, food and toys to a favorite animal welfare organization.
4. Have a National Pet Day party and celebrate all your pets!
5. Assist an ill, elderly or a financially struggling neighbor or friend by purchasing pet food, or needed items for their pets.
6. Buy your pet a fun new toy….or two…or five.
7. Give your pet an extra treat at mealtime.
Tag us in some pics of your pets and we will repost them!