In many global political corners, French President Emmanuel Macron is seen as one of Europe’s sobering liberal counterweights to the rightwing nationalist and populist political movements in Europe, the United States, and elsewhere. But during the G20 Summit in Hamburg, Germany, Macron sparked outrage for his comments on Africa.
According to Politico, a reporter from Côte D’Ivoire asked why there has not been a Marshall Plan, an American initiative to rebuild Europe after World War II, for Africa after centuries of colonization.
Marcon replied that the challenge of Africa is “totally different and a lot more profound, it’s civilizational today.” He went on to add that African women having “seven or eight children” contributes to the continent’s problems.
However, Politico said many critics didn’t get the full context of Macron’s statement, adding that he gave a three-minute response that was edited from short clips that circulated online.
The news outlet said he explained what differentiates a reconstruction program, like the Marshall Plan, from a modern country and regional development strategy.
“Macron called for the creation of partnerships as he pointed to challenges like trafficking, corruption, weak states, and the demographic transition,” Politico stated.
Before his election, Macron visited Algeria (a former French colony for 132 years) and called colonialism a “crime against humanity.”
However, many feel that Macron’s recent comments promote racist stereotypes about the continent of 54 countries, and absolves Europe, and particularly France, of responsibility and culpability in creating many of the political, social, and economic problems that plague different parts of Africa today.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
French President Sparks Outrage With Africa Comments was originally published on newsone.com