Jennifer Hudson has split with her wrestler fiancé David Otunga after 10 years together.
The break up is a bad one. Hudson, 36, filed an order of protection against Otunga, 37.
“They have been in the process of ending their relationship for a number of months,” Hudson’s rep tells PEOPLE exclusively in a statement.
The statement continued: “Today, Jennifer requested and received a protective order against her ex-fiancé. Jennifer’s actions are solely taken in the best interest of their son.”
Hudson and Otunga are parents to 8-year-old David Daniel Otunga Jr. Otunga’s attorney, Tracy M. Rizzo, issued a statement in defense and on behalf of Otunga following news of the split.
“Mr. Otunga has never abused or harassed Ms. Hudson or their son, and it is unfortunate, especially in today’s climate, that she would feel the need to make these false allegations against him. Mr. Otunga looks forward to his day in court and in being awarded the residential care of the parties’ only child,” a part of the statement read.
The former pro wrestler popped the question to Hudson in September 2008 after less than a year of dating. The power pair welcomed their only child nearly a year later in August 2009, according to People
Nearly a month into their engagement, Hudson’s mother, Darnell Donerson, and her brother, Jason Hudson, were found fatally shot in a Chicago home. Her 7-year-old nephew, Julian King, was found dead in the backseat of a car. Hudson’s former brother-in-law William Balfour was convicted of the murders in 2012.
Jennifer Hudson’s Assistant Squeals As She Gifts Him With House For Xmas
Bitter Exes: The Pettiest Celebrity Splits
1. Monyetta Shaw and Ne-YoSource:Allen Berezovsky/Prince Williams/Getty Images 1 of 12
2. Siohvaughn Funches and Dwyane WadeSource:Bennett Raglin/Bobby Metelus/Getty Images 2 of 12
3. Milan Christopher and Miles BrockSource:David Livingston/Allen Berezovsky/Getty Images 3 of 12
4. Kris Humphries and Kim KardashianSource:Joey Foley/Fred Duval/Getty Images 4 of 12
5. Rob Kardashian and Rita OraSource:Steven Lawton/WireImage/Getty 5 of 12
6. Safaree and Nicki MinajSource:Gabriel Olsen/Jason Merritt/Getty Images 6 of 12
7. Big Sean and Naya RiveraSource:Kevin Mazur/Jon Kopaloff/Getty Images 7 of 12
8. Torrei Hart and Kevin HartSource:David Livingston/Gabe Ginsberg/Getty Images 8 of 12
9. Erica Mena and Bow WowSource:Getty 9 of 12
10. Chris Brown and Nia GuzmanSource:Getty 10 of 12
11. Idris Elba and Sonya HamlinSource:Getty 11 of 12
12. Stevie J and Joseline HernandezSource:Getty 12 of 12