The first lady’s visit on Thursday to a detention center in Texas did involve visiting migrant children. That much was undeniable. They just weren’t the children at the center of her husband’s heartless immigration policy that he’s been scrambling to reverse after it has caused (and was still causing) irreparable damage to everybody involved.
Instead of actually seeing the children who were forcibly separated from their families seeking asylum in the U.S. – a contentious topic that has increasingly come under fire, especially after audio leaked of the children crying out for their parents – Trump stopped by a center that only houses minors who were unaccompanied by their family when they tried to enter the U.S.
That part was conveniently left out of the carefully scripted press release that Trump’s communications director issued Thursday morning, one day after her husband signed an executive order addressing “family separation” which NPR suggested may actually create some brand new problems.
So naturally, when it was announced that the first lady would be traveling to Texas to visit “children who have entered the United States illegally and a customs and border patrol processing center,” the overriding implication was that she would be visiting the kids her husband specifically addressed one day before.
However, as has long been par for this administration’s course, that would turn out to be not quite the truth.
To her credit, the first lady tried her damnedest to keep up that charade up, too, asking officials at the center how she “can help these children to reunite with their families as quickly as possible.”
The public should have been tipped off quite easily after photos and video didn’t show one single cage, which has become the government’s housing of choice for detained migrants, including children. Instead, the imagery from the brief trip frequently showed the first lady smiling, which, of course, was probably not really the reaction that most of America wanted to see at a detention center for children, regardless of how they ended up there.
Meanwhile, a handful of businesses contracted by the government to house the children separated from their families were reportedly busy making tens of millions of dollars.
But perhaps what really summed up the true sentiment behind the entire publicity trip was the further damning optics behind the first lady’s choice of wardrobe – a jacket that bore the following words on the back: “I REALLY DON’T CARE. DO U?”
In trying political times, the country has routinely looked to first ladies to provide the yin to their husbands’ yang. But on Thursday, there was no solace to be provided from Melania Trump, only more unanswered questions about the fate of the children, some of them infants, who were taken from their families at the direct behest of her husband.
Happy Juneteenth! Social Media Celebrates Black Independence Day
1.1 of 40
2. Harlem U.S.A.Source:false 2 of 40
3. Gotta Love 'Black-ish'Source:false 3 of 40
4. Gotta Love 'Black-ish'Source:false 4 of 40
5. Never Forget...Source:false 5 of 40
6. Never Forget...Source:false 6 of 40
7. All About The PowerSource:false 7 of 40
8. All About The PowerSource:false 8 of 40
9. Put Your Fists UpSource:false 9 of 40
10. Put Your Fists UpSource:false 10 of 40
11. Too Much... LOLSource:false 11 of 40
12. Too Much... LOLSource:false 12 of 40
13. Howard UniversitySource:false 13 of 40
14. Howard UniversitySource:false 14 of 40
15. Real TalkSource:false 15 of 40
16. Real TalkSource:false 16 of 40
17. So True...Source:false 17 of 40
18. So True...Source:false 18 of 40
19. So True...Source:false 19 of 40
20. Celebration!Source:false 20 of 40
21. Celebration!Source:false 21 of 40
22. Celebration!Source:false 22 of 40
23. We Approve This Message...Source:false 23 of 40
24. We Approve This Message...Source:false 24 of 40
25. We Approve This Message...Source:false 25 of 40
26. This Line From Issa Always FitsSource:false 26 of 40
27. This Line From Issa Always FitsSource:false 27 of 40
28. This Line From Issa Always FitsSource:false 28 of 40
29.Source:false 29 of 40
30. Super FreshSource:false 30 of 40
31. Super FreshSource:false 31 of 40
32. Pure Beauty...Source:false 32 of 40
33.Source:false 33 of 40
34. Pure Beauty...Source:false 34 of 40
35. Always Here For Angela DavisSource:false 35 of 40
36. Always Here For Angela DavisSource:false 36 of 40
37. Always Here For Angela DavisSource:false 37 of 40
38. The Original AnnouncementSource:false 38 of 40
39. The Original AnnouncementSource:false 39 of 40
40.40 of 40
No, Melania Trump Did NOT Visit Children Who Were Torn Away From Their Families At The Border was originally published on newsone.com