This weekend makes 18 years since Aaliyah died in the tragic plane crash that would leave us mourning for years to come. Just before the anniversary of Baby Girl’s death on August 25, and with the help of her brother Rashad Haughton, Madame Tussauds Las Vegas has unveiled their wax figure in honor of the late icon.
“According to Adam Morey, Studios Manager at Madame Tussauds Las Vegas, discussions around the making of an Aaliyah figure began over a year and a half ago,” Vibe reports, adding “Morey has played a role in establishing the set designs to accompany several of the other celebrity figures at Madame Tussauds Las Vegas, but wanted to make sure this one was more about inspiration than flair.”
Text “RICKEY” to 71007 to join the Rickey Smiley Morning Show mobile club for exclusive news. (Terms and conditions).
“‘This set, rather than being a recreation of any one particular Aaliyah moment, was instead designed with a message to her fans in mind,’ he told the site. ‘It’s a message that hopefully reflects her everlasting legacy.’”
Like Morey points out, Aaliyah’s style continues to be an influence generation after generation.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
“It was clear right away it would be the ‘Try Again’ look for our Aaliyah figure,” he told Vibe via email statement. “The look has the sexy, edgy, timeless vibe we try to imbue in the Las Vegas attraction within all our creative choices. Mining popular culture as only Madame Tussauds can, our desire to honor Aaliyah and the look in this way was only confirmed as we see today’s Hollywood stars like KeKe Palmer, Kim Kardashian, Zendaya, also paying homage by recreating their own favorite moments of the Princess of R&B.”
Aaliyah’s brother was involved throughout the process, making sure to get his sister’s likeness just right. From Vibe:
“I was involved in the process from the inception of the project,” Haughton says via email statement . “The team at Madame Tussauds welcomed a collaborative effort in choosing the pose and look of my sister’s figure. They made sure my mother and I were comfortable and supported through an amazing but understandably emotional process.” Morey and the sculptors, painters and stylists in the museum’s Acton Studios in London, worked to make sure that all of the Haughton family’s requests for Aaliyah’s likeness were honored, right on down to her tattoos. “One thing we made sure to include was all of my sister’s tattoos,” Haughton says. “They are all quite hidden because my sister chose strategic places for them due to her on-camera film work. We know how devout and knowledgeable her fans are and the great artists at Madame Tussauds have no limitations to their abilities when it comes to detail.”
This story was originally posted on Bossip.
20 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Aaliyah
1. She performed on ‘Star Search’ and sang “My Funny Valentine” in 1989.Source: 1 of 20
2. Aaliyah was the youngest singer to perform at the Oscars with 1998’s “Journey to the Past” from ‘Anastasia.’ She was only 19.Source: 2 of 20
3. Aaliyah’s name means “highest, most exalted one” in Arabic.Source: 3 of 20
4. She is the niece of music legend Gladys Knight.Source: 4 of 20
5. Throughout her short career, Aaliyah won more than 30 awards, including Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist at the 2002 American Music Awards, Best Actress for ‘Queen of the Damned’ at the 2002 BET Awards and Top Hip-Hop/R&B Artist of the Year at the 2000 Billboard Music Awards.Source: 5 of 20
6. Aaliyah was engaged to music mogul Dame Dash at the time of her passing.Source: 6 of 20
7. The video treatment for her song “4 Page Letter” was written by her brother Rashad.Source: 7 of 20
8. She modeled for Tommy Hilfiger, where she met BFF Kidada Jones.Source: 8 of 20
9. She was real-life BFFs with Quincy Jones’ daughter Kidada.Source: 9 of 20
10. She once had a bet with Missy Elliott about who would wear a dress first, because neither of them ever wore one.Source: 10 of 20
11. Her final interview was on “106 & Park” just five days before her passing.Source: 11 of 20
12. She was considered for the role of “Alex” in 2000’s “Charlie’s Angels” film. The role went to Lucy Liu because the filmmakers thought Aaliyah was too young.Source: 12 of 20
13. Aaliyah was nominated for an Academy Award for her song “Journey to the Past” from the animated film “Anastasia.” She lost to “My Heart Will Go On” from “Titanic.”Source: 13 of 20
14. She wore her hair covering her left eye, which was an homage to silver screen actress Veronica Lake, whose trademark peek-a-boo hair was worn over her right eye.Source: 14 of 20
15. “Rock The Boat” was written two years before it was released, because the label didn’t think Aaliyah was ready for such a sexual song.Source: 15 of 20
16. She was also set to play the title character in “Honey,” but the role went to Jessica Alba after her passing.Source: 16 of 20
17. Aaliyah’s toy orangutan, given to her by her grandmother, appeared in a scene in “Romeo Must Die.”Source: 17 of 20
18. In order to get accepted into the Detroit High School of Performing Arts, Aaliyah sang “Ave Maria” entirely in Latin.Source: 18 of 20
19. Her untimely death pushed Mary J. Blige to clean up her life after years of alcohol and drug abuse.Source: 19 of 20
20. She has been credited for helping redefine contemporary R&B and hip-hop, earning her the nicknames “Princess of R&B” and “Queen of Urban Pop.”Source: 20 of 20
ALSO TRENDING ON RICKEYSMILEYMORNINGSHOW.COM:
- Lamar Odom Says He’s Giving Up Porn + Why Porn Is A Problem For Black Men
- Nipsey Hussle’s Original Collaboration With Puma Is On The Way
- NJ Woman Torches Man’s House After He Stood Her Up For Late-Night Sex
Madame Tussauds Las Vegas Unveiled Their Aaliyah Wax Figure [PHOTO] was originally published on rickeysmileymorningshow.com