The 13-year-old Baltimore boy, who was shot this week by a police officer while holding a BB gun, is recovering in a local area hospital. Eighth grader Dedric Colvin was shot twice, once in the shoulder and leg, both non-life-threatening wounds, the Baltimore Sun reports.
On Wednesday, Police Commissioner Kevin Davis stated that two of his officers were on patrol when they observed Dedric carrying what appeared to be a semi-automatic pistol. When they approached Dedric, the teen reportedly ran away, and the officers chased him. One of them shot and wounded the fleeing teen.
Hours after, the commissioner said Dedric “had every opportunity to drop the gun” and follow the officers’ directions. What appeared to be an authentic gun turned out to be a toy, identified as a Daisy brand PowerLine Model 340 spring-air pistol.
Davis said mother Volanda Young told investigators on Wednesday that her son left home with a BB gun. She later explained to the newspaper that Dedric ran away because he was probably scared.
The police revealed Thursday that the two officers were plainclothes detectives. But Davis claimed the detectives identified themselves as officers to the teen.
During the hospital visit, the Sun reporter observed a nurse unwrap Dedric’s bandages. When asked how he felt, Dedric replied, “Bad.”
Young didn’t want to answer too many questions, though. She told the Sun during the visit she was gearing up to meet with her lawyer.
SOURCE: Baltimore Sun | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty | VIDEO SOURCE: Inform
Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2016 (So Far!)
1. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2016: Steph Curry becomes the NBA's first unanimous Most Valuable Player and wins the award for the second straight seasonSource:Getty 1 of 7
2. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2016: Tamar Braxton's sister shouts "Haay, Michelle! Girl, you look so good!" at the White House Black History Month event
Source: 2 of 7
WATCH: POTUS: "We know it is black history month when we hear someone say 'heeey, Michelle! Girl. You Look so good!"https://t.co/3u36Y3iede— ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) February 19, 2016
3. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2016: Kendrick Lamar's "Alright" performance at the GrammysSource:Getty 3 of 7
4. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2016: Grandma Virginia McLaurin celebrates her 107th birthdaySource:Official White House Photo by Lawrence Jackson 4 of 7
5. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2016: Beyonce's Black Panther "Formation" performance at the Super BowlSource:Getty 5 of 7
6. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2016: Chris Rock hosts the Oscars admist the #OscarsSoWhite controversySource:Getty 6 of 7
7. Top Black Pop Culture Moments Of 2016: Rihanna delivers 'Black Girls Rock' 10th anniversary speechSource:Getty 7 of 7
Baltimore Teen Recovering After Police Shooting, Meeting With Lawyer was originally published on newsone.com