Two of the best actors in the biz are set to join the Academy following the #OscarsSoWhite controversy.
New reports say Idris Elba and Michael B. Jordan were invited to become members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ latest class. They were among some 683 new members asked to join what should turn out to be the “largest and most diverse class” ever.
The new attendees – of whom 46 percent are female and 41 percent are people of color – will significantly increase the diversity of the Academy, which is largely white and male. If all accept, Academy membership will be up to 27 percent female and 11 percent people of color – a 2 percent and 3 percent increase in each category, respectively.
Elba and Jordan aren’t the only new faces set to (hopefully) join. Star Wars: The Force Awakens actor John Boyega, This Christmas actress Regina King, and black-ish actor Anthony Anderson also made the cut. Boyega said of the new direction the Academy seems to be moving in:
See the full list of invitees here and leave your thoughts below.
SOURCE: PEOPLE | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Every Time Idris Elba Looked Like The Perfect James Bond
1. Man Crush Everyday.Source:Getty 1 of 11
2. Dapper AF.Source:Getty 2 of 11
3. So smooth.Source:Getty 3 of 11
4. Suited up.Source:Getty 4 of 11
5. All black.Source:Getty 5 of 11
6. Just like Bond.Source:Getty 6 of 11
7. Don't let the smile fool you. Idris is badass.Source:Getty 7 of 11
8. Too street?Source:Getty 8 of 11
9. Bish, where?Source: 9 of 11
10. Handsome even when he's not looking.Source: 10 of 11
11. He portrayed detective John Luther. James Bond would be the obvious next step.Source: 11 of 11
Academy Working To Include More Black Actors Following #OscarsSoWhite Controversy was originally published on globalgrind.com