As if we needed another reminder of how the world ignores Black women…
Yesterday afternoon, British Vogue tweeted out an article they wrote about Kendall Jenner, Bella Hadid, Lily Donaldson, “and co” hanging out. You guessed it — “co” referred to the only Black woman in the photo, 21-year-old Justine Skye. Not to mention they knew her name, as they wrote it within article.
Skye didn’t take the publication’s lack of respect too seriously, but she did throw a little shade after her fans went hard for her and called the issue out. “Hi, my name is & co,” she wrote in one tweet. See her full response below:
Lily Allen also chimed in:
As one user pointed out, the singer-songwriter was “high key killin’” — and out of basic courtesy and acknowledgment, should have been mentioned simply because she slayed, if for no other reason.
25 Majestic Pictures Of Justine Skye
1. we ain't no kids, you ain't gon lie to me and just storm out the doorjust be a man, you ain't gon tell me nothin that I ain't heard before 📷 @renellaiceSource:Instagram 1 of 9
2. happy place #coachellaSource:Instagram 2 of 9
3. makeup by @joannasimkinSource:Instagram 3 of 9
4. SmileSource:Instagram 4 of 9
5. Can't wait for you guys to see this Bandit video.. This song makes me feel sexy and in control.. hashtag #ImABandit in a video of you lip syncing Bandit or a pic that makes you feel sexy I might have to repost some of these ;)Source:Instagram 5 of 9
6. 📢STAY TUNED: Tomorrow one of V's favorite rising pop stars, @justineskye, is taking over our Instagram and taking YOU up close and personal at SXSW! 💖💖💖Repost from @vmagazineSource:Instagram 6 of 9
7. Thank you @flexmurdaa for coming to do my makeup last minute, you're the bomb.Had such a great time performing at the Penn State #blackwomenrock gala tonight. So amazing to see a room full of beautiful, ambitious, brown faces coming together to celebrate one another. #womenshistorymonth 📷 @versusandcoSource:Instagram 7 of 9
8. thank you guys so much for coming out and killin the stage with me, much love <3 #NYCSource:Instagram 8 of 9
9. mood, when you headline your first show ever and sell it out crazy! #unicornnation 📷 @shanescorseseSource:Instagram 9 of 9
ICYMI: Read Justine Skye’s Response To British Vogue’s Super Shady Tweet was originally published on globalgrind.com