Danielle Brooks‘ parents weren’t crazy about her role in “Orange Is The New Black” at first, but they eventually got with the program.
What a difference a year (and an Emmy nomination or two) makes!
Danielle, who plays fan favorite Taystee on the prison drama, revealed to “Huffington Post Live” that she had some hesitation about the role at first.
Although she was thrilled to have the job, she wasn’t so sure about some of her first scenes.
“From day one! I had to be topless in a scene with Taylor [Schilling] in the shower, and I didn’t know how much they were gonna show of my ta-tas,” Danielle explained with a laugh.
She shared that her parents nearly forbid her from taking on the role, but not for the reason you might think.
Although the NAACP reports that one in 100 African-American women in are in prison, and African Americans account from almost 1 million of the 2.3 million people behind bars, her folks were not concerned about taking on a stereotypical role. They were not down with their baby doing a nude scene.
“When that happened, that was the first thing, I was like, ‘Parents, look, Mom, Dad, yo, I think I might have to do this,’” Brooks said. “I told them, and they were like, ‘No! No!’ They’re going to hate me for saying that, but they did.”
It took a little while for Danielle’s parents to get over their protective paternal instincts, but they eventually were able to embrace her gig as Taystee. It’s not like they had much to worry about anyway, though!
“At the end of the day, they were very happy that I chose to do this,” Danielle said. “And in the end, you didn’t see anything [in the shower scene].”
66th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards: Who We Want To Win
1. The Emmy Nominees Are In!1 of 14
2. Idris Elba: Outstanding Lead Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie2 of 14
3. Kerry Washington: Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series3 of 14
4. Don Cheadle: Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series4 of 14
5. Chiwetel Ejiofor: Outstanding Lead Actor In A Mini Series Or A Movie5 of 14
6. Joe Morton: Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama6 of 14
7. Uzo Aduba: Outstanding Guest Actress In A Comedy Series7 of 14
8. Reg E. Cathey: Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series8 of 14
9. Andre Braugher: Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series9 of 14
10. Cicely Tyson: Outstanding Lead Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie10 of 14
11. Laverne Cox: Outstanding Guest Actress11 of 14
12. Angela Bassett: Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie12 of 14
13. Whoopi Goldberg: Outstanding Directing For Nonfiction Programing13 of 14
14. Morgan Freeman: Outstanding Information Series Or Special14 of 14
Danielle Brooks’ Parents Opposed Her Role On ‘Orange Is The New Black’ was originally published on hellobeautiful.com