The FBI declined White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus’ request to dispute news reports that President Donald Trump’s advisors had multiple contacts with known Russian intelligence agents during the presidential campaign, CNN reports.
In making that request, the White House crossed a line that restricts communication with the FBI during pending investigations.
This latest scandal stems from a stunning New York Times report that American intelligence agencies intercepted phone calls between Trump advisors and senior Russian intelligence officials. The Times’ story, which appeared as concerns mounted about Trump’s ties to Russia, did not identify specific sources of information.
CNN reported that Priebus reached out to FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe the day after the Times and CNN reported on the contacts between the Trump team and Russian officials.
The news outlet said Priebus contacted McCabe a second time and also reached out to FBI Director James Comey, asking the director to tell reporters on background that he disputes the Times’ report. Comey rejected the request because it involved an ongoing investigation.
In its defense, the White House said it made the request after the FBI supposedly told Trump officials that the news reports were inaccurate.
Press Secretary Sean Spicer said CNN mischaracterized the White House’s contact with the FBI. “We didn’t try to knock the story down. We asked them to tell the truth,” Spicer said, according to CNN.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Did the Trump Administration Ask the FBI To Dispute Reports Of Russian Ties? was originally published on newsone.com