A federal lawsuit filed by an African-American firefighter accuses the New York City Fire Department of permitting discrimination and sexual hazing, the New York Post reports.
Gordon Springs, 27, seeks unspecified damages for multiple incidents that he alleges were intended to make him quit the department. The Post said the U.S. Department of Justice launched a probe to investigate his claims.
The first alleged incident happened on May 4, 2015, when Springs was a rookie. He and three other rookies went to their new firehouse in midtown Manhattan for a tour. Instead of a tour, the rookies were taken to a gym in the firehouse where four naked firefighters were waiting for them.
Springs said he tried to leave but was compelled to lie down on a workout bench, and the naked men placed their genitals on his face.
The lawsuit claims that Springs was “singled out time and time again” because of his race. It says one of his superiors, Pedro Aristy, told him, “I don’t like you . . . Blacks getting on the job this way. You don’t have good work ethic.”
According to The Post, that comment is a reference to hiring preference for minorities under a federal court order to diversify the department.
Aristy also told Springs that he could physically assault him, and it would be a waste of time filing a complaint because the other firefighters would be silent.
Although the department transferred Springs twice, the harassment continued because Springs was labeled a troublemaker.
Earlier investigations lend credence to Springs’ allegations. The Post reported in October that the department disciplined seven firefighters for hazing an African-American firefighter at the same firehouse where Springs said he was hazed. And in November, the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission found “reasonable cause” to believe Springs.
SOURCE: New York Post
Happy Presidents' Day! 44 Photos To Make You Miss Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 42
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 42
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 42
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 42
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 42
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 42
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 42
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 42
9. The Obamas on Air Force OneSource:Getty 9 of 42
10. The First Family in LondonSource:Getty 10 of 42
11. First Lady Michelle Obama with daughters Malia Obama and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 11 of 42
12. Sasha and Malia Obama at the 2016 State DinnerSource:Getty 12 of 42
13. Turkey PardoningSource:Getty 13 of 42
14. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 14 of 42
15. Gobble, GobbleSource:Getty 15 of 42
16. Malia Obama, the First DaughterSource:Getty 16 of 42
17. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 17 of 42
18. A Family AffairSource:Getty 18 of 42
19. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 19 of 42
20. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 20 of 42
21. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 21 of 42
22. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 22 of 42
23. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 23 of 42
24. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 24 of 42
25. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 25 of 42
26. A Christmas StorySource:Getty 26 of 42
27. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 27 of 42
28. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 28 of 42
29. Malia and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 29 of 42
30. Michelle Plays on a BikeSource:Getty 30 of 42
31. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 31 of 42
32. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 32 of 42
33. Family SupportSource:Getty 33 of 42
34. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza 34 of 42
35. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 35 of 42
36. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 36 of 42
37. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 37 of 42
38. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 38 of 42
39. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 39 of 42
40. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 40 of 42
41. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 41 of 42
42. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 42 of 42
Black New York City Firefighter Files Suit Alleging Racial Discrimination & Sexual Hazing was originally published on newsone.com