Listen Live
K97.5 Featured Video
Ferguson On One Year Anniversary Of Michael Brown's Death

Source: Getty

Tyrone Harris, the 18-year-old that was shot by Ferguson police after allegedly firing at officers at the one-year anniversary of the protests in the city, has been listed in critical condition.

Rumors on social media began to explode Sunday night that police shot and killed Harris, but the teen survived his wounds and has been charged with four counts of assault against the officers.

As reported by Slate, St. Louis County police released details of Harris’ release and his medical condition. The press release revealed details of an impending investigation into the Sunday night shooting while delving further in what allegedly transpired.

From the St. Louis County Police Department:

The Ferguson Police Department is conducting the investigation into the robbery.

At the time gunfire was being exchanged between the unknown suspects, one of the shooting suspects began running south across the parking lot at 9200 West Florissant, where he was spotted by St. Louis County Police Detectives in an unmarked police vehicle. The detectives activated their emergency lights and began driving toward the suspect who immediately turned and began firing at the detective’s police vehicle, striking the police vehicle numerous times.

The detectives then exited the vehicle at which time the suspect turned and began firing rounds at the detectives, who began firing at the suspect. The suspect then again began running on foot and detectives began chasing the suspect on foot behind the business at 9200 West Florissant. The suspect once again stopped, turned, and reengaged the detectives, who returned fire, striking the suspect multiple times. The detectives immediately called for an ambulance to respond to the scene. The suspect was transported to a local hospital where he is currently in critical condition. A .9 mm semi-automatic firearm, reported stolen out of Cape Girardeau, Missouri was recovered from the scene.

Harris’ father, Tyrone Harris Sr., said that eyewitnesses claim that his son was unarmed at the time of the shooting.

Slate adds that the shooting took place around 11:15 p.m., around the same time there was a robbery taking place at a nearby beauty shop. A St. Louis Post-Dispatch reporter was in the area and was at another beauty supply store that was being robbed and was later attacked and beaten by a mob as reported by the New York Times.

Harris is facing 10 charges by authorities, including four counts of assault on law enforcement and shooting at a motor vehicle. He is being held on a $250,000 bond.



Police Shoot Man In Ferguson After He Allegedly Fired At Officers During Anniversary Protests

Ferguson Protest Shooting Victim Tyrone Harris In Critical Condition, Facing Charges  was originally published on