On day one of his term in office, President Donald Trump signed an executive order halting a plan that would help buyers purchase homes.
The move by the nation’s new Commander-in-Chief could cost low and medium-income homeowners as much as $900 per year.
Dr. William Spriggs, chief economist for the AFL-CIO, and Julian Epstein, public affairs and communications counselor for the LawMedia Group Inc., spoke with Roland Martin about how Trump’s decision to not allow lower federal mortgage insurance rates to take effect will impact struggling Americans.
Spriggs said Trump’s move––which seems counterintuitive to his professed affinity for forgotten Americans––charges people “unnecessarily.”
According to Spriggs, President Barack Obama instituted the FHA mortgage insurance premium reductions to correct a situation, “Putting the government on the side of people, having the government do what the government is supposed to do, which is not price gouge people.
Spriggs continued, “The first thing President Trump does is say, ‘No, I want to gouge the American people.’”
Epstein said of Trump’s executive order on FHA mortgage insurance premiums, “This is going to be a tax on low-income people that want to buy homes somewhere between $500 and $1,000 a year, and between 40,000 and 50,000 people that would otherwise be able to get homes might not be able to get them.”
He added, “There are going to be many taxes on low-income people as a result of the Trump administration.”
“The working-class people that voted for Donald Trump are going to have a rude awakening when they find out he’s not going to be able to deliver on much and he’s going to start raising their taxes, and here is one example where he is putting in a defacto tax on low-income people,” Epstein said.
Watch Roland Martin and the NewsOne Now panel discuss President Trump’s decision to not allow lower federal mortgage insurance rates to take effect in the video clip above.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Trump Abandons Low-Income Homeowners By Decreasing Annual FHA Mortgage Insurance Premiums was originally published on newsone.com